Friday 16 March 2012

The Scottish Prisoner’s Ottawa connection

By way of an avid blog reader and browser of the Ottawa Citizen, an interesting story has been published recently in the Citizen about the linking of best-selling author Diana Gabaldon, living in Arizona, and two Gaelic speakers, living in Ottawa, have ensured the linguistic credibility to the book's main character. The book, The Scottish Prisoner. The locals are the Scottish singer and Scottish Gaelic speaker Catherine-Ann MacPhee, and Kevin Dooley (himself an author) also bilingual with Irish Gaelic as his first language. Here is the link to the article.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Scottish+Prisoner+Ottawa+connection/6289607/story.html


1 comment:

Eesti said...

I love the Outlander series--it's one of my all-time favorites with DG being one of my all-time favorite authors. I have not read any of the Lord John books but I thought I would go ahead and read Scottish Prisoner despite that. I can honestly say after finishing Scottish Prisoner, I didn't feel like I was missing any vital information by not having read the LJ series. Scottish Prisoner is unique in that it focuses on the developing relationship/friendship between Jamie and John. The two are, much to Jamie's dismay and to John's delight, reunited on an "unfortunate road trip" to Ireland. John has information that could possibly expose corruption in the British Army by a particular officer, but this information is housed in a document written in Erse, which he can't translate. The only person that comes to mind that might be able to do that is Jamie Fraser. I found it to be a very engaging and a quick read. I have always been a fan of Lord John throughout the Outlander series so this is a nice glimpse into how their relationship turns and grows into a friendship.